DO... for school leaders
provides useful information to help introduce or update quality RSE in schools
Ask your RSE coordinators to support your teachers with the guidance below; some teaching techniques can help teachers build on their existing skills for an effective approach to RSE.
RSE is a unique subject which should help young people build their own knowledge, skills and values. At its best, it gives them the ability to consider and challenge the expectations of the world around them.
1DO… lesson guidance
This resource contains useful advice and techniques for quality RSE delivery and covers topics like establishing ground rules, confidentiality and support for students. It’s designed to help RSE coordinators and teachers deliver quality RSE.
- Establishing a group agreement (ground rules)
- Confidentiality and young people
- Different learning methods
- Different learning needs
- Start where they are at – age appropriateness
- Embedding gender and sexual diversity – not just adding it on
- Promote tolerance and respect for difference and diversity
- Faith and values
- Use of language
- Asking and answering questions
- Assessment and evaluation
- Supporting young people in accessing services