DO... for school leaders provides useful information to help introduce or update quality RSE in schools
The resources on this page have been created to help you introduce quality RSE to your school, whether starting from scratch or revising your school’s policy and programme.
After exploring the ways to optimise RSE in your school, use the menu provided to navigate additional lesson guidance, plans and materials for your teachers to use before and during class.
You can even take our self-assessment to help you identify which DO… resources will be most useful for you.
Click on each link to find out more or scroll down to view all resources.
- Build an effective RSE programme
- Discover the evidence
- Update your RSE policy
- Further your safeguarding policy
- Understanding the Ofsted requirements
- Work in collaboration
- Inspire great teachers
- The whole-school approach
- Increase awareness of services
- The Quality Review Framework for practitioners of RSE
- Learn about the DO... self-assessment
1 Build an effective RSE programme
An exploration of the compulsory topics and an overview of how the DO… resources can help you build the foundations for great RSE in your school.
2 Discover the evidence
The importance of RSE to young people is supported by an overwhelming amount of evidence. In this resource, you will find a snapshot of the research and data out there that will emphasise what an effective programme from DO… can help achieve.
- Why is RSE so important?
- Are schools and our stakeholders aware of its importance?
- If understanding isn’t the main problem, what is?
- Why are we, as school leaders, best placed to improve RSE?
- What can good RSE mean for your school?
3 Update your RSE policy
Your school’s RSE policy forms the framework on which your entire programme is built. This resource will help you evaluate your school's policy, to help ensure it promotes everything intrinsic to great RSE and incorporates the views and needs of the people it involves.
- Why is your RSE policy so important?
- What does an effective RSE policy include?
- Updating your RSE policy
4 Further your safeguarding policy
Use this resource to look at your safeguarding in relation to the sensitive topics taught as part of quality RSE. Ensure the RSE in your school complements and enhances your safeguarding procedures and therefore protects the welfare of young people in your school.
- How does relationships and sex education help to safeguard young people?
- How to ensure your school’s safeguarding provision is effective
- Building on your current safeguarding procedure with DO...
5 Understanding the Ofsted requirements
An exploration of current Ofsted key judgements of ‘Behaviour and Safety’ changed in September 2015 to ‘Personal Development, Behaviour and Welfare’. This resource will help you understand how the DO… RSE programme can play an important role in helping your school meet this judgement.
- What do Ofsted changes mean for your school?
- How will Ofsted measure this new key judgement in relation to RSE?
- What steps can you take to ensure your school meets the new key judgement?
- How RSE can contribute to good personal development, behaviour and welfare
6 Work in collaboration
This resource will help you work in collaboration with all stakeholders, with suggestions of tools to help ensure opinions of all relevant parties are sought and listened to.
- The importance of gaining support for your RSE programme
- How to get all parties involved
- What to do if parties disagree
7 Inspire great teachers
The teachers in your school are the key to great RSE, this resource will help you identify those who have the potential to drive great RSE in your school and inspire their colleagues to get involved.
- What issues do RSE teachers currently face?
- What makes a great RSE teacher?
- How to identify, train and support RSE champions in your school
8 The whole-school approach
A whole-school approach to RSE can help ensure that its values, behaviours and skills pervade your school’s ethos, environment and culture for both staff and students. This resource will help you build or expand your whole-school approach to ensure that RSE is able to support everyone.
- What is a whole-school approach to RSE?
- What are the benefits of a whole-school approach to RSE?
- How to build an effective whole-school approach
9 Increase awareness of services
Professional organisations can help young people and teachers by ensuring they have up-to-date knowledge and services, as well as raising awareness of local concerns. This resource will help you build and increase your partnerships. It will also help you ensure young people have the confidence and understanding of how, when and why they should use them.
- The benefits of a school and sexual health service partnership
- What should additional services include?
- Raising awareness of services in your school
- How to secure additional services
- Services from the DO… collaboration
10 The Quality Review Framework for practitioners of RSE
This is your chance to trial a new quality framework for RSE with the RSE Hub.
Additionally, DO... has purchased copies of the RSE Hub Quality Review Framework for you to download for free! Go get your copy now: http://rsehub.org.uk/1514.aspx
11 Learn about the DO... self-assessment
Not sure where to start? Take the DO... self-assessment to receive instant feedback with recommendations on which resources may be most relevant to you.
Watch this video to learn how DO... can help.